Registering Children

Monkton CEP School is a Local Authority Controlled primary school, as such admission to the school is coordinated by the Kent County Council and we adhere to their admission policy. Details of this are available from the school office or from If you are interested in your child coming to Monkton we do keep a register of Prospective New Entrants. Please contact the school for details.


Admissions Arrangements

All applications for admission use the following criteria in order of importance:

Children in Local Authority Care or previously in Local Authority care – Children in Local Authority Care or previously in Local Authority Care is a child which is either in the care of the Local Authority or is being provided with accommodation by a Local Authority in  in the exercise of their social services functions, or a child who ceased to be so because they became subject to an adoption, child arrangements, or  special guardianship order.

Current Family Association - a brother or sister (sibling) attending the school at the time of entry, where the family continues to live at the same address as when the older sibling was admitted – or – if they have moved – live within 2 miles of the school, or have moved to a property that is nearer to the school than the previous property as defined by the ‘Nearness’ criterion (below). In this context brother or sister means children who live as brother and sister in the same house, including natural brothers or sisters, adopted siblings, stepbrothers or sisters, foster brothers or sisters.
If siblings from multiple births (twins, triplets etc.) apply for a school and the school would reaches its published admission number after admitting one or more, (but not all) of the children, Kent County Council will offer a place at that school to all the multiple birth siblings. This is in line with the School Admission Code and if doing so will take the school above its published admission number and possibly result in breaching the class size legislation, the children are to be treated as ‘excepted’ pupils.

Unfortunately, if your older sibling is currently attending school in Year 6, you cannot claim a sibling link for your younger child, as the older sibling will be transferring to secondary school in September.


Health and Special Access Reasons – Medical, health, social and special access reasons will be applied in accordance with the school’s legal obligations, in particular those under the Equality Act 2010. Priority will be given to those children whose mental or physical impairment means they have a demonstrable and significant need to attend a particular school. Equally, this priority will apply to children whose parents’/guardians’ physical or mental health or social needs mean that they have a demonstrable and significant need to attend a particular school. Please note that social need does not include your intended or current childcare arrangements. Such claims will need to be supported by written evidence from a suitably qualified medical or other practitioner who can demonstrate a special connection between these needs and the particular school.


Nearness of children's homes to school we use the distance between the child’s permanent home address and the school, measured in a straight line using the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG) address point.  Distances are measured from a point defined as withing the child's home to a point defined as within the school as specified by NLPG. The same address point on the school site is used for everybody. When we apply the distance criterion for an  oversubscription, these straight line measurements are used to determine how close each child’s address is to the school.